RN Numbers

Today I received a question from a viewer about RN#'s. Question: "How does a person register an apparel company to acquire the RN#. I am interested in starting a couple of labels. I have searched on the internet but have not been successful." My Answer: "At the care labels page on Apparel Search you will find a link to RN#'s. That link will take you to the government website that should be able to answer all of your questions regarding the RN." If you are not sure what an RN# is, in summary the RN stands for Registered Identification Number. It is a number issued by the FTC to U.S. businesses that manufacture, import, distribute, or sell products covered by the Textile, Wool, and Fur Acts. Businesses can use this number on product labels in lieu of the company name. This question was not asked of me today, but I think that this may be helpful to point out in this discussion forum... Do fashion designers have to use an RN number? No. You are required to label covered products to show the name or identifying number of a U.S. business responsible for manufacturing or marketing the product or the name of a foreign manufacturer. Therefore, you may use your company business name on the label instead of an RN. The business name is the full name that appears on business documents, such as purchase orders and invoices. It is not a trademark, brand, or designer name (unless that is also the name under which the company conducts business). Alternatively, the goods may be labeled with the RN or business name of the company that is buying the goods from you - such as a distributor or retailer. If you are acquiring the finished products from a U.S. manufacturer, importer, or distributor, they can remain labeled with the RN or business name of that company. RN numbers are available only to businesses residing in the U.S. However, imported goods can be labeled with the name of their foreign manufacturer. Note: the above rule may change. The answer to the above question I have pulled from the official government website April 2008. Please check with them for the most current rules and regulations. If you have questions or comments about RN #, you are welcome to list your comments on this forum. Hopefully one of the members will help answer your questions if you have any...

You need to be a member of Fashion Industry Network to add comments!

Join Fashion Industry Network

Email me when people reply –

Forum Rules

PLEASE keep all discussions relevant to fashion, textiles, beauty products, or jewelry.

Follow the Fashion Industry Network Rules.

It is always a good time to review fabulous fashion.

Hot topics of possible interest:

Thank you for using the Fashion Industry Network.  Have you helped another member today? Answer questions in the forum. It brings good luck.