Today I have received a question from a view as follows: "If I were ordering 1000 jackets and I needed a breakdown by s, M, LG, XL and XXL how would I determine the ratio so that I have enough of each?" I have answered him as follows: "It depends on your target market of customers. For example, each store buyer may purchase in a different size ratio. This comes with years of experience purchasing for a particular store. Across the country body types actually are a bit different. For example, in Los Angeles (movie stars and nice weather all year), people may be a bit healthier and you would want less plus sizes. Anyway, it is not possible for me to give you an exact answer. In general you would have more M and L. You may want to do a 1S, 2M, 2L, 1XL, 1 XXL scale. However, I personally do not currently sell jackets" If anyone has a better suggestion on how to answer this type of question, please post your thoughts.

You need to be a member of Fashion Industry Network to add comments!

Join Fashion Industry Network

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Good follow-up answers from Apparel1 and Sean Kwan. It is hard to determine what sizes you will sell. How long has your company been around? Do you have any records of what sizes you've sold in the past?

Sean Kwan brings up a good point. Depending on your clientele, people may like to wear their jackets a little loose rather than a perfect fit.

I think its always good to have plenty of Medium, Large and XL. Those are your moneymakers. You'll always come across people who wear Small and XXL, but the majority is going to be Medium, Large, and XL.

http://www.bastardandfriends.com/about.html
  • A little off the subject, I am just launching into having clothing custom made for my web store. I am having skirts manufactured. The manufacturer wants a size chart from me with measurments for the skirts. I want the skirts to sit on the hips, therefore, should I give him a 7" difference between the waist and hip measurement? For example if "misses 4" on my web store size chart says "24 waist, 34.5 hips" should the measurement I give him for size 4 be: 27" waist 34.5 hips?
  • Great answer.

Being involved in Hip Hop, it has become increasingly clear that we like to dress larger than we need...

So with this in mind, if your market has a certain 'way' it likes to wear the clothes, then that should determine your size scale order also.

Just my two cents.
This reply was deleted.

Forum Rules

PLEASE keep all discussions relevant to fashion, textiles, beauty products, or jewelry.

Follow the Fashion Industry Network Rules.

It is always a good time to review fabulous fashion.

Hot topics of possible interest:

Thank you for using the Fashion Industry Network.  Have you helped another member today? Answer questions in the forum. It brings good luck.