Where do I start?

I am a very young person, looking to start in the fashion industry. I am interested in designing. I am not looking to join the glamor celeb designer scene, just would like to have the ability to design working patterns for everyday apparel. (Especially modest yet stylish clothing.) Where should I start? I am hesitant to go to school for fashion design because I am not into that whole scene, but I may end up taking classes here and there. Do you think this is a reasonable way to accomplish my goal? My family has never really worked in the fashion industry, although my extended family has, so I have connections to DDCLab, and many other resources. Anyhow...any input or advice towards someone just starting out would be appreciated. :) -PC

You need to be a member of Fashion Industry Network to add comments!

Join Fashion Industry Network

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Absolutely, take classes... Even if you do not go for a full degree, taking a some classes will be beneficial. Educate yourself on fabric construction, seams, sewing techniques etc. The more you know the better... If you are interested, you can check view many of the fashion schools online.

To be honest, you can do well in the apparel industry without taking a single class in fashion. However, you can do even better with the proper education. I think if you asked ten people in the industry if they think classes are helpful, at least nine of the ten would say yes. Possibly, get a job in the fashion industry and at the same time take a few night classes to round off your knowledge..
  • Hi Paulina,

I am not in the fashion industry myself, but would like to be. This is just my modest opinion, I think you should take some pattern making courses as well as sewing classes. I think you must know how to construction garments in order to know how they are to properly fit the body. I know there should be some certificate or diploma courses in pattern making if you don't want to do the college thing. Also I recommend some art classes for color technique. I hope this helps some. I like that you want to design modest clothing ( I hope that is clothing that exudes confidence w/o being partially nude or all the way).

Peace and Love
This reply was deleted.

Forum Rules

PLEASE keep all discussions relevant to fashion, textiles, beauty products, or jewelry.

Follow the Fashion Industry Network Rules.

It is always a good time to review fabulous fashion.

Hot topics of possible interest:

Thank you for using the Fashion Industry Network.  Have you helped another member today? Answer questions in the forum. It brings good luck.