As the morning due still rests on the flowers, two young hearts are eager to be united amidst the cheer, love and celebration of their very special day. This is so true with every wedding that we cover as wedding photographers. More often than not, the joy and the love seems to touch us as photographers as well and we feel privileged to be transforming someone’s precious moments into memories for a lifetime.
Passionately pursuing wedding photography for all these years has taught me to read the couples with a very objective perspective. Every event at the wedding, be it Mehendi, Sangeet, reception or the main wedding ceremony gives me as a photographer the chance to observe the couples and read their body language. Looking at my photos I almost predict how compatible the couple is and how lasting their relationship can be. You think I’m bluffing, right? Let me share a few of my observations and you will know how obvious these signs are.
- The pre-wedding shoots: The moment a couple walks into my office to discuss their wedding shoot plans, I try to understand what they are expecting from me. It is usually during pre-wedding photography that I get to see the chemistry between the couple. The love in their eyes, sweet gestures and expressions of love, complementing each other etc. surely show the depth of their relationship. Looking at my pictures, I can tell you if that spark is there or not.
- The gesture and behavior of family: When we cover all the close family members and relatives during a wedding shoot, their behavior speaks louder than words. The gesture and behavior of the family members tell a lot about the couple. While some siblings, cousins, and friends are busy teasing the couple and pulling their leg, some can be seen throwing tantrums and complaining. Such negative vibes give me a hint of the character of the bride or the groom and how they would handle stress and roadblocks in life.
- The cutting of the cake holds the key: Cake cutting at a wedding is the first thing couples do together after the wedding. Our photos capture the love with which the groom feeds the bride, the care with which she wipes his mouth, they might playfully put a dot of cream on each other's nose too. But sometimes when I see either the groom or the bride retaliating, it is an indication of contempt. That is not a good sign.
- The involvement of the couple in the preparations: At most of the weddings I see couples running around and actively participating in their preparations. In fact, those are the best moments for candid wedding photography. It shows their excitement and the sheer joy of being united. But some couples seem to be secluded from the crowd and least bothered about preparations. Such low energy towards their the best day of their life is weird.
- The way they say their vows: My favorite moments at a wedding is when the couple is taking their Pheras or while pronouncing their vows. Photos captured at this pristine moment very evidently speak about their love for each other. Their voice, the way they look into each other’s eyes, the way they hold hands, their blushing face all give such positive vibes. If I see a couple not doing these things with love, I can sense the lack of compatibility.
- Couple’s body language towards each other's family: There are plenty of occasions at a wedding when the bride and groom interact with each other's parents. It is my wedding photography experience that these initial interactions tell a lot about their relationship. My photos are either a proof of their acceptance and appreciation for each other’s family or their reservations.
So, do you now believe that wedding photos can actually be an interesting indicator of the couple’s compatibility? Well, I am just a photographer rendering wedding photography and pre-wedding photography services to couples. When I see good signs or bad, I always hope that the couple will grow mature and deep in love. I hope they actually live the love story that my photos have so beautifully captured.