The aging process leaves all sorts of marks on our bodies, reminding us every day that we are changing and growing older with each hour, each day passed. Some of these marks are less visible than others, and some are not as welcomed as others. Think about your gray hair, wrinkles and fine lines and all those dark spots that develop with each new day. For most people, these marks are also the reason for their self-esteem that keeps lowering and lowering. And that is why, the question – how to get rid of my wrinkles/dark spots keeps occurring. Today, we decided to answer a part of that question. Today, we will share 7 amazing, all-natural remedies that you get to try in order to get rid of your dark spots and increase your self-esteem once and for all. Are you interested to find out?
What do you need to know about dark spots?
Dark spots are caused by the overproduction of melanin – the skin pigment that gives your skin its characteristic color. Dark spots usually develop among people over the age of 50, but they can develop among young people as well, especially if they spend too much time in the sun. The exact reason why dark spots develop is yet to be found. However, they are considered to be a characteristic sign of aging and to develop more rapidly if the person spends too much time being exposed to the sun. The dark spots usually develop on skin areas which are most commonly exposed to the sun such as the face, chest, shoulders, and arms.
The 7 natural treatments that will help you get rid of dark spots!
- Apple cider vinegar – Apple cider vinegar contains what probably are the best anti-aging agents – the alpha hydroxy acids. Alpha hydroxy acids have been proven on various occasions to be excellent anti-aging agents which is why they are commonly included in some of the best anti-aging products. Alpha hydroxy acids are also great skin exfoliators, removing the dead skin cells and evening out any skin pigmentation including the dark spots on your skin. In addition, alpha hydroxy acids will help you with your dull complexion. However, apple cider vinegar can also dry your skin, especially if you are prone to dry skin if you apply it alone. That is why we recommend mixing a couple of tablespoons of apple cider vinegar with a couple of tablespoons of olive oil, which will soothe and calm your skin and apply this mixture to your skin each day. It will only take as much as three to four weeks for you to notice the first results.
- Lemon juice –Lemons are one of the many natural sources of Vitamin C, containing high amounts of this vitamin. That is what makes them perfect for you to use them in your fight against dark spots. Vitamin C, as you probably know, is a powerful antioxidant which means that its main role is to remove any waste products, focusing on free radicals, from your body. Vitamin C has the power to reduce any present inflammation, reduce the number of visible wrinkles and fine lines and what is most interesting regarding today’s article – it has the ability to reduce any present depigmentation, removing your dark spots. And it does so by inhibiting the enzyme called tyrosinase, which is responsible for the melanin formation and with that reducing the melanin formation itself. This is of vital importance because as we mentioned previously, dark spots occur as a result of the overproduction of melanin. When applied alone, lemon juice can cause skin irritation to occur, especially if you have sensitive skin. That is why we recommend mixing the lemon juice with water and create a mixture that you will apply on your skin and leave it for at least 20 minutes before you rinse with warm water. Remember not to expose your skin to the sun while you are treating it with the use of lemon juice. It would be for the best if you do this treatment at the end of the day.
- Yogurt – As you may know, yogurt contains lactic acid. When used in a combination with ascorbic acid, the lactic acid has shown beneficial effects towards skin lightening for a few skin tones, including being able to reduce the present dark spots on the skin. You may discover yogurt being as much as an effective remedy for your dark spots as OxyHives, a natural homeopathic product, can be for hives and any skin depigmentation. Or you can choose to use both of these effective products! To use yogurt as a skin lightening agent, you can mix one tablespoon of yogurt with a couple of tablespoons of lemon juice and prepare yourself a homemade natural skin mask that you can apply at least two to three times a week for the best results!
- Aloe vera –Aloe vera has been used for decades now to clear out any skin problems that you might be dealing with. Being able to treat sunburns, soothe the skin, reduce acne breakouts and even treat psoriasis and eczema, aloe vera is the perfect natural remedy for skin problems. And as it turns out, aloe vera is also able to treat your skin depigmentation, removing the dark spots and patches that have developed on your skin. And that is the reason why very often, aloe vera has been listed at the active ingredient in many skincare products. To use aloe vera to treat dark spots on the skin, you will need to provide yourself with a couple of aloe vera leaves from which you will extract the aloe vera gel yourself. You can apply the aloe vera gel on a daily basis alone and let it stay on the skin for 15 to 30 minutes, or you can create a face exfoliator using aloe vera gel, sugar, and lemon juice and scrub your skin using it for about 10 minutes. Afterward, rinse your skin with warm water.
- Papaya –Thanks to the enzyme known as papain, papaya is an effective natural remedy for dark spots on the skin. In addition, papain is also a great skin exfoliator that removes all of the dead skin cells from your skin and allows your pores to breathe and function properly, preventing any major acne breakouts. In order to gain these beneficial effects, mash one papaya in a bowl to which you will add a couple of tablespoons of lemon juice and apply this mixture to your skin. Leave it for at least 30 minutes and rinse with warm water afterwards. You should expect the first results after 2 weeks.
- Potato – Potatoes contain high amounts of an enzyme known as catecholase – an enzyme which is suggested to improve any skin depigmentation and remove any dark spots and patches. Plus, it has been considered that potatoes have the ability to help with any facial wrinkles. There are two ways to use a raw potato to improve your skin tone. The first one is quite simple – all that it requires is cutting a potato in half and rubbing your dark patches with it for a couple of minutes. The other option is creating a nourishing tonic using the potato juice that you will get from one mashed raw potato that you will apply on your skin using a cotton ball two to three times a week for the best results.
- Almond oil – Being rich in Vitamin A, B2, B6, D and E, as well as, healthy fatty acids, and phytosterols, the almond oil is the perfect remedy for healthy and glowing skin. Almond oil has been found to soothe the skin, protecting it from any harmful sun damage, reducing the present wrinkles and acne and most importantly – reducing the visible dark spots on our skin. Use the almond oil every day, before you go to sleep by applying a few drops on your fingers and massaging it into your skin. Do not rinse. You can also prepare a face mask using lemon juice, almond oil, and honey that you will mix and apply on your skin, letting it absorb for at least half an hour. Rinse with warm water and apply a soothing face cream afterwards. It will take as much as three weeks for you to notice the results. Repeat the procedure three times a week.
Dark spots, caused by either old age, too much sun or hormonal imbalances can be quite difficult to live with. Although they do not pose any danger to one’s life, they can seriously damage the self-confidence of the person. That is why when we found out about these 7 awesome, natural remedies for dark spots, we rushed over here so that we can share them with you. You will quickly learn that most of these natural remedies, which you can already find in your own kitchen, have the secret abilities to help you deal with your dark spots and even reduce your wrinkles and fine lines, leaving your skin to shine bright and look gorgeous once again as if it has never been touched by time!