It is a common sight to see a Muslim woman wearing a scarf over her head, and there are a number of reasons for which she wears a head scarf. A Muslim woman’s scarf is referred as the Hijab and wearing a Hijab is customary for almost all Muslim women, due to religious teachings, custom, tradition or law. For many, head scarves are considered as “submissive.” Some are of opinion that wearing scarves by Muslim women is oppressive to women, but that is not true. Muslim women wear scarves as a means of self expression.
We discuss below the main reasons for which Muslim women wear scarves:
1. According to Muslims, it is God’s doctrine that women need to cover their hair. So they use women scarves. Covering the hair is a religious act for many Muslim women. The Quran has mentioned how prophet Mohammed’s wives were always covered in public. Hence, Muslim scholars and religious experts feel that women should at least cover their head to respect the Quran.
2. For many Muslim women, a headscarf is culturally acceptable and is a part of a traditional outfit. In Islamic countries like Afghanistan, Saudi Arabia, and Sudan, head scarves are very common.
3. During prayers, head covering by both Muslim men and women is necessary. That is why we see Muslim men wearing skull caps during Namaaz.
4. Scarves worn by Muslim women also symbolize purity and saintliness and depict purity and godliness to many onlookers.
5. Also wearing a head scarf automatically brings in respect and honour for women, which prevents men flirting or teasing women. It also helps a woman to identifying her status and chastity that she can move around freely and securely in public life.
6. Muslim women wearing head scarves actually give them their identity and an effective method of Muslim visibility whenever they are in foreign communities......
- See more at: http://blog.eastessence.com/top-8-reasons-muslim-women-wear-head-sc...