Choosing the right salon is one of the most important steps for getting an even, natural-looking spray on tan but there are additional steps you can take to help you get the best results. There is also the choice between machine-applied tans and those that are airbrushed on by hand. Even with the most advanced tanning equipment, a skilled applicator is more likely to get the solution applied evenly. These artists have the know-how required to avoid missed spots that even the best spray machine can miss.
Once you have determined which spray-on tanning salon you will go to, take these steps before and after your appointment to get long-lasting natural results:
1. Get a Trial Tan – If you are planning for an important event such as your wedding, the last thing you want is to be surprised by the way your tan looks. Schedule a trial tan to see how the color looks on you and determine how long it lasts. You will want to get the real tan a couple of days before the big event so it is fully developed while still having the full life of the tan ahead of you.
2. Exfoliate – Exfoliating gets rid of dead, dry skin that can cause the tanning solution to adhere better in some areas than in others. Use a loofah and soap to remove dry skin and avoid sugar scrubs which may contain oil. Any product with oil will provide a barrier against the tanning solution and prevent it from being absorbed into the skin.
3. Shaving and Waxing – If you will be shaving or waxing any area where the tan will be applied, do so in advance of the tanning appointment. Also, get facials, massages, laser treatments, manicures and pedicures before tanning as they can cause the tan to fade. If you must shave afterwards, wait eight hours after the application and take a shower to remove any lasting solution. Use a moisturizing shaving gel to help preserve the tan.
4. Moisturize – Apply oil-free moisturizer to your skin two or more hours before your tanning appointment. This will give your skin time to absorb the moisturizer before the solution is applied. During humid summer months, skip this step and let the natural humidity serve as a moisturizer for your skin.
5. Dress for Your Appointment – When you go to your appointment, dress in loose, dark clothing. Clothes that are fitted or white are more likely to get tanning solution on them and show it.
6. Plan for Your Session – When you get spray tanned, you have the choice to go nude or wear a swimsuit or underwear. Whether your decision is based on modesty or a strong desire to eliminate tan lines, plan accordingly.
7. Sunbathing – Often, people want to get a spray tan to get rid of pale skin before they go to the beach and soak up some real sun. If you do this, be certain to use sunscreen without oils. Otherwise, sunbathing will not affect your tan.
8. Repeat – Ask the operators at the tan salon when you need to repeat the application to continue with your tan.