There are various misconceptions and myths that come with wearing hair wigs and the usage of hair extensions for various purposes. What one needs to understand is that one needs to take care of both – one’s original hair as well as the wig hair. Maintaining both in prime condition is what prolongs the life of the hairpieces for women and also allows your natural hair to breathe.
We must understand that even if it is hairpieces vs wigs, the amount of maintenance remains the same. You have to treat all your hair alternatives equal if you are looking to get a natural feel from them. Maintenance is a necessity whether it is a human hair wig or a synthetic wig.
So considering the importance of healthy care, here are the things that you might be doing that is damaging your wigs life. It’s time to stop them all.
1) Shampooing And Conditioning The Hair Wigs: Whether you use a human hair wig or a synthetic wig it is essential to understand that there are special shampoos and conditioners made for the hairpieces and hair wigs.
-Use the prescribed/ available wig shampoo.
-To maintain a well-defined mesh structure, make sure that you use cold water to rinse the hair.
-Don’t try to towel dry your hair wigs. This is the biggest mistake that people make.
-While using a hair dryer to dry wig, use the cold blast and not the hot one.
2) While Wearing Hair Wigs: Never wear your hair wigs over damp hair. A damp scalp, if covered, not just emits smell but also adversely affects the wig cap. In this way, both your natural as well as wig hair gets damaged.
3) Storage Of Hair Wigs: Leaving your hair wigs here and there when not in use alters their fit, shape, style, and also affects their hair quality. So when not in use, always put your hair wig on a wig stand. This helps to maintain the shape of the wig head and also retains its quality.
4) Heating Equipment And Colouring: Be it natural fibers or synthetic ones, the heating equipment used on a prolonged basis tends to damage the fiber. Just like how you use heat resistant hairsprays and gels for your hair, the same kind is available for your hair wigs too. If you are into extensive styling then you must invest in ceramic plated hair straighteners and hair curling tongs to avoid damage.
If you want to change the shade of the wig hair then make sure that you use good quality colours and not dye.
5) The Wrong Wig Size: This not only causes damage to your hair wigs but also tends to give you a headache. Loose wig requires adhesives and clips to keep it in place that usually damages one’s natural hair and causes pain to the scalp. Therefore, always settle for the right fit and nothing less.
These small things tend to slip out of one’s mind. However, in order to lengthen the wigs life and reduce its damage, one must be a little more proactive.