Fashion Industry Network

The Fashion Industries Favorite Business Network ...

What is your favorite pattern making software?
Why is it your favorite?

We welcome input from employees that work for pattern making software companies. Do not be shy? You are welcome to discuss the benefits of your software. The only thing that we ask is that when you make your comments, please be honest to indicate the company that you work for. There is no need to post comments anonymously.

At this web page, you will find a few examples of pattern making software to help ge the conversation started. Tell us what you like or dislike about software listed on that page. If you know other suppliers, you can add them in this discussion.

In this group, we are happy to hear comments from both the software companies and the pattern makers that use the software.

Views: 13265

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Jheney,

What software are you using? If gerber, MDL file must be exported to VET file and IBA file before you convert it to gerber file. If you trust in me, send me the file and I will convert it into any format you want.

Willie
w_unidad@yahoo.com
Hello Jheney,

.MDL format is a proprietary format of Lectra software ( Modaris ). You will require Lectra to open those files. The other option would be ask someone who has Lectra to convert / Save the files into a DXF format ( currently there are two DXF formats which are popular in the Apparel Domain . AAMA DXF and ASTM DXF ( ASTM is a newer standard ). After converting to DXF those files can be opened in any other apparel cad system.

You might find this link interesting :

http://www.apparel-bpo.com/apparel-pattern-file-conversion-services...

Try https://www.filetypeadvisor.com/ , it is able to recognize EVERY type of file. As a result, you will receive a very detailed report on your file + you will get software recommendations for it's opening (or converting, depends on your request). I think it is just what you need, best of luck. 

Hi! That is nice to see -how much pattern makers are here! Our company work with CAD COMTENSE-that system is created by Russian engineers.We just start 1year ago ,but really like that software! We have no convertier at moment , but anyway we can work with some fileformats from Lectra(iba), Gerber(tmp), Novocut, DXF AAMA ,3D(dat), 3D(gra) and also with DXF Of course -not all formats we check out,but DXF -there in no problems. Jhenay- some customer also send us MDL-we can`t open it, but then we ask for DXF- and it works!!!
Hmm, I would just die to be able to make patterns by hand right now, however, I'll have to skip the years it would take me to learn this craft and buy some pattern making systems, for this I've been researching some options and between the ones I've seen online, I'll mostly likely get two, the Lutterloh pattern making system which is actually a manual system using the 'golden rule' if you watch the free video they've got on their site you'll see why I like it so much, it's German too so it's no wonder about the genius there and it's only $125 and the set of pattern making software programs from a company in Texas I believe, called "Wild Ginger" they specialize in all facets of women's wear but they've got a program for men's and children's clothing as well. Off the top of my head the software for women's apparel is broken up into one for stretch knits, outer wear, evening and special occasion and day wear if I remember correctly. And they're only $100 to $200 dollars at that, so it's awesome. Hope this is as useful to you guys as it has been for me.
Wild Ginger was one of the first to come out with something that could be used more like a MTM or Made To Measure module for making a set of pre defined styles.
It was pretty good for someone who wanted a simple solution for common styles.

They later added a module for drafting patterns as well, but it is still evolving and has a long way to go before being considered a major contender in the apparel pattern making CAD Market.
Both of these systems are limited to their patterns that are drafted for their systems and are no made to be produced in large quantities. Both of the systems are for the home sewer.
Most software are at par with each other,

My personal favourites are Gemini CAD, Optitex and Lectra for pattern making and Gerber for markers.
I am looking for pattern making software that will allow me to take my vintage patterns and either trace them or scan them into the program then resize them to mine or others measurements. patternmakerUSA sounds like it might have a program that will do it. But so does DesignSew DiVA v4.5. I don't have any formal training in pattern making so any suggestions will help. Keep in mind though I am a small one at a time pattern maker and don't need a program for manufacturing.

angela
Actually ange mallory, the manual lutterloh system uses a special approach that automatically adjusts patterns to your bust and hip measurements, you can see how this works in their free online videos, I've got a link to them on my site or you could google them.
thanks for the tips on the software.
Is anyone familiar with Fashion CAD? Any thoughts on this system?

RSS

Fashionable Suggestions

Review more fashion:

Members

Photos

• Add Photos

Badge

Loading…

Fashion Industry Network

Here are some fashion links of interest:

Fashion Industry

Fashion Jobs

Fashion News

Fashion Calendar

Shopping 

Fashion Blog

It is always a good time to learn more about clothes, shoes, style, or accessories.

We hope that you love the apparel industry as much as we do.

© 2019   Created by Apparel1.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Thank you for using the Fashion Industry Network.  Have you helped another member today? Answer questions in the forum. It brings good luck.