Fashion Industry Network

The Fashion Industries Favorite Business Network ...

I'm interested to see how you prefer your Jewelry photographed.

A: On a model.

B: Against a plain background (White/gray)

C: As part of a little set, like against a rock or on cloth.

What Jewelry designer has the best photography?

I'm writing a blog post about Jewelry photography and newsletters...would love to hear your opinions. Other photographers welcome to comment...

Views: 2324

Attachments:

Replies to This Discussion

Aesthetically, I think it tends to look best against a white or black background. I have to say, though, that Gehry's tube bracelet looks great in the photo, with the juxtaposition between the texture and pliability of skin against the slick hardness of the bracelet. It's nice to see how the piece lies on a throat, or hangs from an ear. It gives a sense of scale, too. But as someone with a small business, I can't really achieve that kind of high art. Also, I find that my customers tend to think if they're buying something that's been on a model that it will have been worn already on the model and is used. After polling clients and potential clients, I found the majority don't like it. Some flat out don't care, because they'll clean it upon receipt anyway, but the ones that don't like it, REALLY don't like it.

There is a huge divide, unfortunately, between someone like Gehry and then Adorn Me jewelry. :)
Hi Tina,

you have some really lovely stuff on etsy. Your photos look great, how do you take them, any lighting/editing?

You make a great point that customers will see items as used, if photographed on a model. Lots of small designers make intricate one off designs. I had not thought of that, great point to include in my post. Will link back to your etsy page.

I agree, most people cannot afford the Gehry image...that's why I wanted feedback from real designers not just the David Yurman's of the world! I do agree that a big benefit of using a model is you get a sense of scale that is hard to communicate otherwise.

I love how clean and modern the shots against black and white look...but it depends on your designs.
Unfortunately, jewelry photography is my ultimate failure. I can't get good enough pictures for etsy or juried shows. It's not my camera because I had a pro come to my house to teach me how to take the pictures & edit them in Photoshop. She did a great job with my equipment & I just can't!
But back to your question. The answer lies in where the picture will be seen. If it's on glossy paper in a magazine, like the Tiffany ad, the more creative the better. Those Gehry shots with the white and black backgrounds are not as simple as they seem. They are artistic, professional pics printed on glossy paper.
If you're shooting for the web, you need a whole different approach. Plain backgrounds are the best, even gradient papers look good. Models and 'sets' detract from the jewelry and since jewelry is what you want to sell, that's what you want people to see.
I may be a failure at this photo stuff, but I've spent years researching and reading about it. I have articles and printouts from professional photographers, from contest and jury promoters, marketing experts and jewelry suppliers who want to educate customers.... Fire Mountain Gems, Jewelry Artist Magazine & www.Zapplication.org to name a few.
Have you tried to sell the same piece of jewelry using different styles? What were your results? What have you found works best for you?
Hi Paula,

it's funny you should mention Etsy, I just spoke to 10 Etsy jewelry sellers about their photography. They gave some good tips like making a homemade lightbox and using outdoor light. I was really impressed with the results, since few were relying on the studio equipment I use!

This happened to a client of mine recently, a friend set her up with a lightbox kit and she had a pro camera but the results were so bad she could not use them on her site...it was frustrating for her as she was trying to save money by doing it herself...

I like plain white backgrounds for web photos, with as many close ups and angles as possible. The more photos the higher your conversions tend to be....the main challenge is giving a sense of scale which is easily done on a model, but who can afford that?
You know, you just made me think of something. We should start a new discussion group about Etsy. We should do a marketing survey from all the ETSY sellers, who are FIN members & find out about their customers, ages, incomes, repeat or one timers, what they buy and the average price they buy at. Also, is their purchase for themselves or a gift?
What do you think?
My home email is pgreengarden@yahoo.com Let me know what you think of the Etsy Marketing Survey and if you wouldn't mind. Share the Etsy sellers photo tips.
Thanks
Hi Paula,

It's easy to start a group if you want to go-ahead and start an Etsy group on FIN. I work with some Etsy people but I'm more a buyer! So much cool stuff on Etsy...probably better that an Etsy seller rather than an Etsy addict start the group :) Feel free to share the photo tips...

In my experience people aren't keen to be surveyed, even with a bribe! I'd be interested in how many Etsy sellers are here on FIN ...imagine many people in the jewelry group are on Etsy...
Hi Paula,
I am a pro photographer of art (2D and 3D) including jewelry. I've been reading the frustration that people have with attempting to photograph their own jewelry and what I have come to realize after talking to my clients and teaching them my techniques is that it takes a lot of practice and a great eye to get the results you want. I teach privately, but ultimately people come back to me because they realize a few hours training isn't enough. It took years to develop my style, eye, etc and am most willing to teach people as long as they realize it isn't an overnight process.Jewelry is one one of the hardest things to photograph, glass is, too..I hope this helps..Mary Vogel www.maryvogelphotography.com
Attachments:

RSS

Fashionable Suggestions

Review more fashion:

Members

Photos

• Add Photos

Badge

Loading…

Fashion Industry Network

Here are some fashion links of interest:

Fashion Industry

Fashion Jobs

Fashion News

Fashion Calendar

Shopping 

Fashion Blog

It is always a good time to learn more about clothes, shoes, style, or accessories.

We hope that you love the apparel industry as much as we do.

© 2019   Created by Apparel1.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Thank you for using the Fashion Industry Network.  Have you helped another member today? Answer questions in the forum. It brings good luck.