Fashion Industry Network

The Fashion Industries Favorite Business Network ...

THIS CONTEST IS OFFICIALLY COMPLETED.

The winners have been selected...

First Prize Winner : Blondell
Second Prize Winner: Tara Davis

CONGRATULATIONS to the winners and all who have participated...

Below is the summary of the contest and the entries.

Gerald Sherman has been kind enough to offer two free copies of his Fashion Public Relations book.  One book for 1st prize and one book for second prize.  Both will be signed by the author.

Here is the information about the contest:

1)  Write a short essay.

2)  Essay Should be no more then 250 words.

3)  Subject of the Essay, "Things they never taught me in school on being successful in the Fashion Industry"

Contest Ends: November 20th, 2010

Judge: Gerald Sheman

You can learn more about Gerald Sherman and the books that he has authored by visiting his profile here on the Fashion Industry Network.  You can also learn more at the Sherman & Perlman website. 

More about the prize : Fashion Public Relations, Gerald J. Sherman & Sar S.Perlman, Fairchild Books, Division of Conde Nast, N. Y., (2010). This book has been adopted by nationally and internationally known Fashion Colleges & Universities...

Again, the subject of the essay is, Things they never taught me in school on being successful in the Fashion Industry.

You can list your essay below in the comments section of this discussion.

Views: 2957

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

Michael -- Looks great...ON WITH THE SHOW!

Best,
Gerald J.
sorry you changed the guidelines when I originally read the post it was 300 words, my essay has 210.
Malissa - that will be fine. You are approved for the 210 words. To make it fair, I will change the requirement again to be "no more then 250 words". Sorry about the changes, this is our first experiment with a contest.. Thank you for participating.
I got a Fashion Merchandising degree which focused on buying, merchandising, and store ownership. We did get 2 semesters of textiles, 2 semesters of sewing, and had history of costume, tailoring,and pattern making as electives( I took all 3). I got a minor in Business Administration which focused on management and accounting. The skills I feel I'm lacking are marketing, sourcing, and writing a technical package.

I work with quite a few interns who are currently in school or have recently graduated, most of them fee like their schooling is missing how to do it on your own. They are taught corporate directives, take classes on digital printing and CAD, and give minimal skills in hand drafting patterns and sewing. Most of these students want to be entrepreneurs, but they aren't given the hands on skills they need to be successful. They are taught to outsource, which isn't feasible as a design entrepreneur on a budget.

What happen to apprenticeships? The ability to learn from a pro what has made him or her successful. It's been replaced by internship, where work is unpaid, and the student spends more time getting coffee and running errands than being involved in the day to day task of being a successful fashion designer.
How about the whole "social networking" process which is now so elemental in having any success at all....especially for DIY 'ers who are just starting out?
I have had to halt my designing and creating process entirely...to a screeching halt.....just so I can spend time trying to pave out a pathway for anyone to even notice that I exist! It's a jungle out there!
Like the idea. I am going to try enter an essay sometime this week!
Looking forward to your essay...Best, Gerald J.
Love, love, love this contest! I will offer this out to my model and talent agency immediately! Thank you for this opportunity to share!!!
Best Regards,
Gail McCauley
Arizona Model and Actor Management
gail@azmodelandactormanagement.com
www.azmodelandactormanagement.com
Thanks, Gail...Closing date Nov. 20
Fashion Designer Gina Boyce for the label GEGI

"Things they never taught me in school on being successful in the Fashion Industry"
I began in the industry as Make-up and Hair artist for the fashion, film and modeling industry. I saw a need for fabulous color and design for women of all ages and sizes.I believe all human creatures are beautiful!

When I design the factor of shape, proportion and balance plays a role in every design. Wearability, color and fit encompass all of my work as a fashion designer.It is one thing to design but is it wearable? CATWALK inspirations of style and design inspire me but can you walk down the street with that on?( Believe me I love the SHOW part of Fashion and I am guilty of the outrageous). I believe the product needs a niche and a sellable focus to be successful in the Fashion industry. You never stop learning in fashion. Trends, forecasting color and the next big thing keeps you on the cutting edge of this business. You must be good at both designing and business. After all the goal is to make a profit.

Abstract Contemporary Art is another passion that helps guide me through the color palettes of the fashion. Blending and co-ordination colors into textile design is fascinating. The odd, the obvious and the unheard of keep fashion limitless in design and interesting to say the least!

GEGI is a Contemporary fashion label with a classic edge. I am a fan of the 40's and 60's designs and I think it shows in my work. Romance, femininity and grace from the GEGI couture collection to the simple classic seperates of GEGI
I am passionate about every GEGI design and feel blessed to be doing what I truly love.
"Things they never taught me in school on being successful in the Fashion Industry"
Attachments:
Well they never taught me how to sew in a fly front zipper, I've always wanted to learn how to do that. I am working on a capris pants right now and I'm still trying to figure that out. Another thing is how to open my own boutique because I always wanted to learn how to do that so I can be more successful in the business. They always say "Fashion is what you make it". I have always applied that in my work and everything else. That's why I am doing all the rest for myself sewing for people. Doing more Fashion Shows and getting my work out there in stores like Ross, Macy's and Jcpennys even. Because this is my dream in becoming a Fashion Designer. Right now this is my last semester in College coming this January. I have looked through books, magazines to get my inspirations. I always loved art and fashion. Also I enjoy learning about different designers, So I can know about the do's and don'ts in Fashion Design.

RSS

Fashionable Suggestions

Review more fashion:

Fashion Industry Network

Here are some fashion links of interest:

Fashion Industry

Fashion News

Fashion Blog

It is always a good time to learn more about clothes, shoes, style, or accessories.

We hope that you love the apparel industry as much as we do.

Members

Photos

• Add Photos

© 2020   Created by Apparel1.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Thank you for using the Fashion Industry Network.  Have you helped another member today? Answer questions in the forum. It brings good luck.