for any start up business today the most important hurdles are:
1. funding/backing of a brand in order to launch it properly.
of course with the advent of the internet, advertising costs can be minimised...through social networking..facebook & twitter.
2. product alignment. who is the target consumer ? is there a demand for the product being offered?
3. do the buyers want it?
even if a designer has backing and demand and their products are selling in the stores..
the constant hurdle for any designer is repeating that successfully every season.
I am a new designer working on networking to get the word out and exposure to my new handbag line called Vizzini. It is fun, sexy and unique. They high end handbag is wrappped in crystals that you can see from miles away. Please check out my website http://www.vizzinionline.com. You can also find us on fb under http://vizzinihandbags..
Paula Vizzini Lowe
I agree with Maryanne and Katrina! :)
I think key success factors for starting fashion brands are:
- Business management and planning
- Innovation (but one that beyond designer's signature uniqueness)
- Consumer-centric / market oriented
Fashion designers entrepreneurs face these other challanges when they start their own label taking the wholesale path:
- Business management. Most fashion designers lack basic business skills (legal, sales, marketing, planning, management, administrative, accountancy, financial, etc.) to properly start and run their own fashion business. Most of them turn from being micros to be small businesses when they get a business partner on board (either an investor/business partner (manager), or manufacture partner or licensing partner) whilst few of them climb to the small level going on their own (but tend to stagnate there).
- Production. Loads of fashion designers budding brands have never been to a factory to check how manufacturing works or how to select or deal with them (they are often seen as outsiders when they should be seen as one of the most important key players on designer's networks!). These poor manufacture experience/knowledge affects not only their businesses but also of their manufacturers. Effectively managing liaisons with manufacturers and knowing how to deal and engage with them is key to brand success.
- Sales (wholesale). If starting fashion designers brands don't get enough wholesale orders to pay for the production of their first collections they will get premium costs at fabric and manufacture levels thus affecting their final prices to stockists and consumers. Whilst trade fairs could help achieve sufficient orders participation is often unplanned and thus not effectively maximised their potential.
Phew! And there are more challenges to mention! ;0
And SHEA, talking about PR, starting fashion designers brands have to deal with the fact that PR agencies will usually prefer to work with brands that have already mastered their product development and have supportive stockists otherwise their PR effort will not be effectively maximised.
My Cie Jomsy has helped a lot of Young Designers...I am a French consultant living and working in Los Angeles.
Follow me on twitter and facebook.
my email: email@example.com
Have a good Evening.
Hi Sandra, I am part of a team whose mission it is to help young designers reach the marketplace. Kind of like you :) Feel free to e-mail me at firstname.lastname@example.org. Do what you can to achieve your dreams!
Urban Purple Fashion Studio And Garment Production Unit for Small And Medium Apparel Brands and Clothing Labels.
You can get all your Apparel Line Development facilities at Fashion Studio Urban Purple. Get Your Line Sheet to the next level starting through Designs converted to Factory Ready Tech Packs and can also get your Production done for Your Store Requirements. Urban Purple Fashion Studio Provides End to End Solution for all your Apparel Line Needs starting from Line Sheet Design, Tech Pack Design , Sample Development and Garment Manufacturing. Check out the Review Page of Urban Purple Fashion Studio and check out what clients and brands talking about the Fashion Studio.