Fashion Industry Network

The Fashion Industries Favorite Business Network ...

I am looking to launch my line either for Spring 2011 or Fall 2011. I have over 5 years experience in the industry and currently work for a company designing uniforms. This has been a long time goal of mine to launch my own line of clothing targeted toward petite. I have several collections designed and samples I have made myself. However with a full-time job and very little money I don't really want to run my own company. Not only is it time consuming but instead of trying my hand at something I don't have skill in I would like to focus on keeping the quality of my product by focusing on what I am very good at; designing clothing. Are there any companies or retail concepts out there that allow a person to focus on the creative end while they take care of the rest like sourcing, managing production, sales reps, accounting, etc.? I know it's a reach in the dark but my theory is even if I take business classes (and I have), I will not be an expert at owning my own business and running your own company by yourself will require 90% of my time and I feel the design will suffer and failure would soon follow. I wouldn't want someone who took a few classes in mechanics to work on my car, so why should someone with incredible design ability and knowledge of clothing try to be a CEO? Any leeds, thoughts, and references are welcome. Thanks.

Views: 1020

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

yes can discuss sort the matter out!

Chowdhury174@skype.

Designers CAN be good business people.  If you're interested, I have a "New Designers Group" that includes online training and group office hours and is specifically designed to be affordable for designers who have been in business from ZERO to two years. 

However, I also know many great designer partnerships that can work really well! Sometimes it's another designer who has more experience, or just a designer who happens to like the business side of things, like I do!  Either way, feel free to get in touch if you'd like additional advice!

Jane 

Hi Joneien,

I've just browsed through http://www.socialattire.com

Maybe this can help you? I've not used it before, so do let me know how that goes.

Best of luck and Warmest Regards,

Evon from Armoire

(facebook.com/armoireapparel)

Dear all,

i have woven factories in Bangladesh. in bangladesh vary fanous one is Jamuna Group & second is Fair Trade Group.

if you want to know anything about bottom woven garments current CMT price please adv, my source always free to all of you. i like to help people's please find me on facebook  jewel.southpole@ovi.com

Hey, Joneien!

It's not clear for me if you already found an answer to your question but here are my two cents anyway!

Yes, there some solutions to solve all or part of your problem! They are called Business Partnerships! And they come in different flavours and these are the typical ones:

- General business partner. Pros? They will provide you with management and overall business support so you can focus on what you do best: design. :) Downside? They usually don't mess with production nor sourcing :/ But if you are worried there are production managers and/or garment technologists to help you with this one. ;)
- Investor business partner. They not only provide you with money but with business expertise, networks and management ("smart money"). As with any other general business partner they will help you develop a strong brand and create long lasting and value relationships with retail, finance, fashion intermediaries and manufacturers. But don't think you are free to just focus in the creative side! Prepare yourself to be your own brand ambassador and attend and mingle with fashion bloggers, journalists and, in general, with all these people interested in taking a photo with you! ;) Downside? Same as above.
- Manufacturer business partner. These can also invest in your business and they will give you one of the most awesome advantages an emerging fashion designer can have: manufacture credit. So you don't have to worry about select a source for your fabrics or raw material, buying from them, sampling, production, etc. Often you'll have the chance to pay the manufacture once retailers bought your products. Downsides? Well, there's no business support! :/ And also, if your business grown, your manufacturer couldn't be able to produce your new lines/ranges/products. :'(
- Licensing business partner. These partners could give you extensive manufacturing capabilities, quality control support, assistance in sourcing and buying fabrics, and managing and funding all sampling and production so you can concentrate in your designs! =) Downside? First, there's no business support (which is not bad specially when talking about marketing because it's preferable for you to keep your brand under your command). Second, true to their nature they will try to give you little percentages of gross sales in exchange of having your designer signature (but 10-15% is normal and shouldn't be considered bad). Third, you need to take their attention if you want all these "special" treatments. ;)

As you can see from above, and considering your design vision, your best bet could be to get yourself a business partner to complement the skills you lack and to do the "dirty" job you don't like. You can also hire a business manager to work for you but still you'll be required to oversee what he/she's doing --and that will requires some business knowledge otherwise you could be easily screwed :( . If you were to oversee a production manager it would be wise to first gain skills, qualification, training in sourcing and manufacture so you can know what to check and avoid potential pitfalls. Quality production is another critical factor for the success of your brand. 

Well, I hope this helps! If there's anything that I didn't explain myself clear feel free to ask. Closed mouths don't get fed!

Rod.

P.S. I noticed in your recent posts you are planning to lauch this fall! Congrats! :)

Starting a new line requires a lot of work and is extremely time consuming and complicated.

Sylvie de Gil, famous Parisian stylist who has also been acting as a trusted Fashion consultant since 2000. Her agency, Jomsy Consulting, is based in the growing Fashion District in Los Angeles and in the prestigious Beverly Hills, CA.

She has been working from her own design studios and has helped many new designers getting started into this fabulous world that is the Fashion industry.

Sylvie works from your very own creative ideas, sketches and drawings. She is able to assist you from A to Z until the final results. If you wish, she can also locate the most perfect fabric for your creations.

Jomsy respects any type of production capacity: From 10 to over 500 pieces.

An “a la carte” service, a place where your budget will be discussed in details, so no surprise down the road.

A free of charge first consultation via Skype, MSN or e-mail can be provided. Afterwards, if you wish to continue with Jomsy Consulting, Sylvie will help you choose the best rate corresponding to your needs.

Visit her Web site at www.jomsy.com/consulting for additional information. References can be provided upon request.

Starting a new line requires a lot of work and is extremely time consuming and complicated.
Sylvie de Gil, famous Parisian stylist who has also been acting as a trusted Fashion consultant since 2000. Her agency, Jomsy Consulting, is based in the growing Fashion District in Los Angeles and in the prestigious Beverly Hills, CA.
She has been working from her own design studios and has helped many new designers getting started into this fabulous world that is the Fashion industry.
Sylvie works from your very own creative ideas, sketches and drawings. She is able to assist you from A to Z until the final results. If you wish, she can also locate the most perfect fabric for your creations.
Jomsy respects any type of production capacity: From 10 to over 500 pieces.
An “a la carte” service, a place where your budget will be discussed in details, so no surprise down the road.
A free of charge first consultation via Skype, MSN or e-mail can be provided. Afterwards, if you wish to continue with Jomsy Consulting, Sylvie will help you choose the best rate corresponding to your needs.
Visit her Web site at www.jomsy.com/consulting for additional information. References can be provided upon request.

This 5 years of experience is a huge advantage.You will be able to cope with anything and anyone in the industry.

Your blog provided us with valuable information to work with. Each every tips of your post are awesome.

www.wallartideas.com.au

wow nice...

Bonjour,

je suis une styliste/Modéliste /infographiste  free lance  

20 ans d’expériences

j accompagne les jeunes entrepreneurs 

je vous propose de :

- réaliser des esquisses et informatiser des dessins(en fonction de vos idées)

- élaborer les fiches techniques, les tableaux de mesures

- construire le plan de collection,

-choix des tissus /accessoires

- veiller à la cohérence des collections avec l'image de la marque,

-suivre le bien aller,demande de rectifications aux usines ,tableau  de gradations  ,choix des tissus (salons pros)

- logos, sérigraphies, broderies ,étiquettes pour votre marque , dessins de tissus .

N’hésitez pas à me recontacter

http://www.creersapropremarque.com

I have been inspired by Deepika Padukone ,

After seeing her in the Celebrity Wallpapers

Her fashion , Body and Style to carry has inspired me to design for petite bodies , Well to Introduce a Clothes line is a Future thing, But According to me , To carry Clothes Elegantly one needs a petite Body

RSS

Fashionable Suggestions

Review more fashion:

Members

Photos

• Add Photos

Badge

Loading…

Fashion Industry Network

Here are some fashion links of interest:

Fashion Industry

Fashion Jobs

Fashion News

Fashion Calendar

Shopping 

Fashion Blog

It is always a good time to learn more about clothes, shoes, style, or accessories.

We hope that you love the apparel industry as much as we do.

© 2019   Created by Apparel1.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Thank you for using the Fashion Industry Network.  Have you helped another member today? Answer questions in the forum. It brings good luck.