Fashion Industry Network

The Fashion Industries Favorite Business Network ...

HOW CAN WE INCREASE APPAREL/TEXTILE PRODUCTION IN THE USA?

They talk about Job...Jobs...Jobs...Well, let's put our efforts into how to increase production of apparel/textile in the USA...Your thoughts? gjs

Views: 137

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

My personal opinion is that "retailer" support would be critical. Let's face it, the reason that most companies produce outside the USA is due to "pricing". Although cost of labor is increasing in developing countries, labor in the USA is still higher.

IF major retailers such as wal-mart would decide to purchase a certain percentage of clothing from USA manufacturers, that may have an impact. However, this means they would lose some of their competitive advantage. What if the government agreed to subsidize the cost of garments for retailers that make commitment to purchase a particular percentage of clothing domestically? Sounds a bit crazy for the government to contribute money to wal-mart, but keep in mind that they help out MANY other large companies from other industries. Oil companies make a fortune but our taxes go to them. I wonder how many people would be employed if walmart decided to produce 10 percent of their cotton t-shirts domestically. My guess is that this would put many to work.

I have been looking for the solution to this problem for a long time;and you hit the nail on the head! I love the idea that US retailers become involved in buying USA manufactured products...But, like anything else they must see a benefit for cooperating...possibly a tax deduction incentative, or any other thing that will benefit them in order for them to buy USA...I have been criticized for my previous suggestion, that the government subsidize efforts to encourage manufacturing of American made apparel...I also believe that foreign makers should be required to set up factories in the USA and produce at least a percentage of their production that they import to us...Foreign autho makers, (Toyota, and others are doing it presently) -- why can't we enforce this on US apparel manufacturers who produce their goods out of the country? It's time for all of us to speak out...Let''s hear you comments AMERICA...

American Apparel (americanapparel.net) has been producing domestically. However, as per my understanding they are not currently profitable. This is not to say that they will never be profitable, but It appears that their labor cost possibly has a drag on earnings. Note: I have not fully read their financial statements. It is possible that labor charges are not the drag. Possibly it is another area of the business.

Anyway, their is possibly a good formula to develop a successful business based solely on domestic production? Any one have more thoughts on this subject? Please share your opinion.

RSS

Fashionable Suggestions

Review more fashion:

Members

Photos

• Add Photos

Badge

Loading…

Fashion Industry Network

Here are some fashion links of interest:

Fashion Industry

Fashion Jobs

Fashion News

Fashion Calendar

Shopping 

Fashion Blog

It is always a good time to learn more about clothes, shoes, style, or accessories.

We hope that you love the apparel industry as much as we do.

© 2019   Created by Apparel1.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Thank you for using the Fashion Industry Network.  Have you helped another member today? Answer questions in the forum. It brings good luck.