Fashion Industry Network

The Fashion Industries Favorite Business Network ...

UPDATE - 20 Feb 2010

My husband has got a job in Sweden in a university in Uppsala. So this means that it is confirm that we will be moving to Sweden in May 2010. 

Now I have to find schools in Sweden. I did try but they are all Swedish speaking courses. 

Would appreciate if someone could advise how I could get my education while in Sweden. 

Your advise and comments are greatly appreciated.

UmaPreve

This is no longer applicable!

I was wondering if anyone knows any good schools in the US. I am looking at the following states as I might move there with my husband. I am looking at diploma and degree programme.
1. Boston
2. Los angeles
3. New York
4. Washington
5. White plains NY
I would appreciate your help as I am overwhelmed by the number of hits I can when i google them.

UmaPreve

Views: 164

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

In NYC, the best are Parsons (www.parsons.edu), FIT (www.fitnyc.edu) and Pratt (www.pratt.edu)

In Cali, there in FIDM (www.fidm.edu)

I went to FIT and I left happy.

hope this helps,
Rina Abadi
Hi Rina, thank you for your advise.

Appreciate it!

UmaPreve
Hey UmaPreve,

I can't speak on any program in the cities you listed, as I went to Virginia Commonwealth University in Richmond, VA. But what I can tell you is this. Before you select a school and major consider this question. What is my goal? If your goal is to own your own line one day like most designers, getting a BA in fashion design might not be the best bet. I know that might not make sense now, but I can tell you this from personal experience and people I have interviewed. If you think about it, going to school to learn fashion teaches you how to be a good employee, not own your own business. You can be the best designer, but if you don't know how to market yourself and know how the numbers work you will waste your time and money. If I had to do it all over again, and a lot of people in the business will tell you this, I feel school didn't prepare me for the industry and definitely didn't prepare me for owning my own business. I had to learn that on my own. All I'm saying is you can learn pattern making and drawing on your own taking a class here and there, but what's really important is the business part.

I started a website to talk about what really goes on behind the scenes of fashion called PinkyShears.com The industry is NOT what you see on TV w/ all the glitz and glam and parties. It is full of competition, long hours, and email back and forth to factories. This is something the colleges won't tell you, but as soon as you do an internship you'll see exactly what I'm talking about. And consider doing an internship, they are easy to come by b/c everyone is looking for free help, but it will show you what to expect. Overall, I feel you are a very smart person judging from what you've done here, asking important questions. KEEP IT UP!. I've learned from my mistakes and I hope it can help you. Here are the links to a good article and the website I started. There you'll see my fashion sketches and reader's sketches along w/ interviews of people in the industry. Hope this helps.

PinkyShears.com

What You Don’t Learn In Fashion School!
http://www.39thandbroadway.com/what-you-dont-learn-in-fashion-school/
Hi Brandon,

I really appreciate your honesty. I have dreams of having my own store/line but I do not know how to start it. Also, I have always had this impression that an education in whatever field you are or going to be in is very important. That is the reason why I want an education. Something to fall back on.

Nevertheless, you are right about what schools can teach and what they don't teach. I have no experience in the fashion industry as I have been in the Army for the past 10 years. I want to start from scratch even though I have done some pattern making course and I know how to sew.

I will look at the links you have sent and I would like to to thank you for giving me the advise.

Have a pleasant day.
UmaPreve
Hey,

my advice to you is to go to school to learn the fundamentals of design and fashion and do internships at the same time to learn about the business aspect of fashion. sometimes designers without formal schooling lack the structure and technical knowledge that you can only pick up at school. plus if at any point your business doesn't work out for whatever reason, you have a degree and are able to get a job anywhere.

if you are moving to LA a much better option to FIDM is Otis college of art and design. They are about a few blocks away from FIDM but the education you get for the same price makes a world of difference.

Good luck to you!
Hey Uma,

Just a quick heads-up. In 2 weeks I will post on PinkyShears.com a video of my talk to the fashion students at Virginia Commonwealth University. They have a great program, but I'm bias b/c I went there. lol But their program has improved since I left. In the vid you'll hear and see some of the teachers and you can see what their studios/facilities look like. Hopefully this can help in your search for a school.

Later,

Brandon
Publisher at PinkyShears.com
Hi Brandon,
Watched your you tube video where you where talking to students.
Very nice.
I graduated from VCU too Fashion design.
here's the link to the talk i gave at VCU.
http://pinkyshears.com/2009/12/pinkyshears-vcu-new-video/
Fullerton College in Fullerton California
www.fullcoll.edu
how' the search going?
Hi Brandon,

Nice to hear from you. The news is that my husband got a job in Sweden. We are moving over in May. I have to search for a school in Sweden or maybe I might have to look into starting a business/ shop if education is not possible there. I guess I have to look at other options.

Best regards.
I am sure that this is a tough time for you right now filled with different emotions etc. I was thinking that you might want to share your story on the move to Sweden and how the move will be for you. I am the Editor in Chief for Liberating Style Magazine you can check us out at this link www.issuu.com/liberatingstylemagazine, we would love to track your story for the next few months and get your take on fashion in Sweden the highs and lows of living somewhere new. Let me know if you would be interested and we could talk more indepth of course.
Angela

RSS

Fashionable Suggestions

Review more fashion:

Members

Photos

• Add Photos

Badge

Loading…

Fashion Industry Network

Here are some fashion links of interest:

Fashion Industry

Fashion Jobs

Fashion News

Fashion Calendar

Shopping 

Fashion Blog

It is always a good time to learn more about clothes, shoes, style, or accessories.

We hope that you love the apparel industry as much as we do.

© 2019   Created by Apparel1.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Thank you for using the Fashion Industry Network.  Have you helped another member today? Answer questions in the forum. It brings good luck.