Fashion Industry Network

The Fashion Industries Favorite Business Network ...

What needs to be done to have more women / men of color in the runways.

I will like to know your opinion, I know many  people will like to comment but are afraid of that their college think.  It's time for the industry to know that all races buying power use the same money.

Views: 117

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It needs to start at the design level, the agencies, the editors at the major magazines and branch off from there.

That's where the pace will be set.

In 1974 Beverly Johnson was the first model of colour to appear on the cover of American Vogue Magazine.

A year later, in 1975 she was the first model of colour to appear on the cover of French Elle.

And here we are almost 40 years later, in an industry resistant to change on any level.

As open minded as the fashion industry appears on the surface, it can be very close minded & resistant to change..and very very slow to change.

YSL always represented diversity on his runway and in his adverts.

In the 1980's Benetton always had men & women of diverse heritage in their adverts.

Years ago, I was at Ford Models, being ' scrutinised ' by Eileen Ford herself.

I was told, in addition to needing 3 inches on my leg length, that I was considered

'ethnic' in the industry because of my eye & hair colour.

I was speechless.

A caucasian hazel eyed brunette ..ethnic?!!

And at that time...that's how it was.

There were few & far between brown eyed brunette models in magazines.

In the late 70's & early 80's the big boned blue eyed blondes reigned on the runways & in the magazines, and a smaller framed hazel eyed brunette was not considered mainstream...or relatable/sellable.

It's a major problem in the industry, which people will speak about, but seem resistant to change.

It would be really nice to open a magazines and see all women represented.

As much as NYC is considered the fashion capital of America...

Wall Street basically runs the large fashion houses/corporations..

& they will always look at 'sell' to ' middle america.'

It would be fantastic to see all women on a runway...with no mention of colour.

What I mean is that it is sad that the word colour is still used to describe a person.

So instead of using the words' women of colour' ..the word 'women' will one day just be used.

And there will be no reference to anyone's skin tone..and the only 'colours' focused upon will be that of the clothing.

So to answer your question of what needs to be done:

It has to start with the people who are doing the hiring of models.

The agencies, the design directors of runway shows, the editors at the magazines..the photogs..

It has to become a concerted effort if change , real  positive change is to ever take place.

I do agree, we need start with the agencies, editors and major magazines, but don't forget we need to keep on talking about the subject to keep it alive.

RSS

Fashionable Suggestions

Review more fashion:

Members

Photos

• Add Photos

Badge

Loading…

Fashion Industry Network

Here are some fashion links of interest:

Fashion Industry

Fashion Jobs

Fashion News

Fashion Calendar

Shopping 

Fashion Blog

It is always a good time to learn more about clothes, shoes, style, or accessories.

We hope that you love the apparel industry as much as we do.

© 2019   Created by Apparel1.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Thank you for using the Fashion Industry Network.  Have you helped another member today? Answer questions in the forum. It brings good luck.