Fashion Industry Network

The Fashion Industries Favorite Business Network ...

Today I received a question from a viewer at Apparel Search asking me to expalin what a Jobber does. I provided her with an answer, but pointed out that I was not 100% certain. Below is her question and my answer.

Viewers Question:
"I'd love to see the definition/explanation of a "jobber." I've looked at other sites, but there isn't an explanation about why someone in the fashion industry would need a jobber or what jobbers offer to the public. Can you help define for me? Thanks."

My Answer:
As per my understanding of jobber, they do not offer anything to the "public". I believe that jobbers do not sell to consumers and they only sell within the industry. A jobber is similar to a wholesaler. They purchase product from company "A" and then sell the product to company "B".

Wholesalers typically buy from factories and then sell to retailers. I think that jobbers typically buy from other wholesalers (at discounted prices) and occasionally direct from factories. They help move access inventory. If a mill is stuck with access fabric or a wholesaler has received a store return or a cancellation, they can contact a Jobber to help liquidate the inventory. The excess inventory is some times referenced as closeout inventory.

Does anyone know if my explanation was correct or incorrect? Please post your anwer to her question.

By the way, the other night I wrote a brief article called wholesale clothing which also mentions jobbers. I was tired when I wrote that article, so hope it made at least a tiny bit of sense...

Views: 8358

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have about 600pcs Womens better mostly poplin Pants & Skirts.
Looking to unload it all ASAP.
See some items here:
http://www.bluedotstore.com
Please inquire.
chuck@rockytrail.com
213-624-1616
Chuck - This forum is not actually for posting specific merchandise. If you wish to post details about current stock availability you can do so at the closeout clothing message board. If you have any questions, let me know.
Hi,
I tried posting and got this error:

Server object error 'ASP 0177 : 800401f3'
Server.CreateObject Failed
/forum/functions/misc/email/SendEmails.asp, line 9
800401f3

Chuck
Chuck - sorry about that... That message board does have a bit of a glitch that I need to fix. Even though you received that message, your information may have still posted onto the message board. For some reason the message board system shows that error, but I think the messages still post. See if your post uploaded...
Hi,
Yes! It posted, thanks:
http://www.apparelsearch.com/forum/default.asp?b=1

Chuck
Hi, thanks for the tip.
Chuck
I guess your explanation is good, you have already answered it right because if you will used a dictionary with the word "jobber" it is mention that it was the dealer, merchandiser or the middle person that has something to offer for the particular product. Getting stocks from other fashion trends factory and selling it up to people is a form of jobbing thing.
An accomplished writer was kind enough to write me an explanation regarding textile jobbers. You can read the article at the textile jobbers term on Apparel Search.

RSS

Fashionable Suggestions

Members

Photos

• Add Photos

Badge

Loading…

Fashion Industry Network

Here are some fashion links of interest:

Apparel Search

Fashion Jobs

Fashion News

Fashion Calendar

Shopping 

Fashion Blog

© 2017   Created by Apparel1.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Thank you for using the Fashion Industry Network.  Have you helped another member today? Answer questions in the forum. It brings good luck.