Fashion Industry Network

The Fashion Industries Favorite Business Network ...

I'm working on a new clothing line and new to it all. How can a create a specification sheet that I can use with all my garments. What are the basic measurments that should always be included? Who is the spec sheet intended for?

Views: 68811

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Ruby - Firstly, if you have not already done so, I would suggest that you take classes on the subject. Secondly, if you are not a pattern maker, I suggest you think about hiring one to assist you. We can not all be experts on everything and it is often good to turn to the experts for assistance. The fit of a garment is very important. If the garment is beautiful, but fits horribly, customers may not return...

I am not a pattern maker, but I think that in order for members of this network or a pattern maker to answer your questions, they would need more information. For example, you are asking "what are basic measurements that should always be included". This would depend on the type of garment that you are producing. Are you making shirts, pants, hats, etc? Each garment type would have different body measurements to take into account.

In regard to your question, "who is the spec sheet intended for?". The "factory" would need the spec sheet to evaluate the garment that you are requesting that they produce. They can use the spec sheets to make patterns, markers etc. Again, I am not an expert on this subject, so hopefully someone else will add additional comments to help answer your question..
Spec sheets are important to monitor all aspects of your product. My patternmaker is inhouse, so my spec sheets are simplified- including a front and back sketch, brief description, sample size and photoshoot size needed, fabric swatches with fiber content info, lining and trim info along with group, season, delivery date, size range and style number. We use a seperate size chart that includes standard measurements. There is a lot of other information you may require such as labels or hang tags- which is why it would be a good idea to attend classes or have someone help you with this. Good luck.
thank you for your response. I will look into classes.
Any ideas for classes in NYC area?
A spec sheet is easy to create in Illustrator. You can't have one for your entire line, unless every single style in you line is exactly the same and the only think changing is the fabric.

I do fashion illustration and spec sheets. I could make them for you in a couple of days.
Hi Alina this is Lúzi, Im a new member :P, and this post caught my attention because Im trying to design my own spec sheets for a project... can you tell me how? or a website where I can check some examples?

thanks!!!

Lúzi.
I found this site with some examples of spec sheets, hope it helps

http://www.fashionmark.com/services/specsheets.html#
Ruby, when you say you;re working on a clothing line, what do you mean? what is your role in creating the line? anyway, a 'spec sheet' 'or 'tech pack' is all the information you'll use to give the manufacturer to make the garments. Every detail of the garment is illustrated on these documents,
1.the sketch
2.measurments for each part of the garment and in each size or grade
3.Colorways
4.Trims,
5.Sewing instructions

and any other info that will make you garment exactly as you want. or if you have a live sample of the garment, you can also send it to the Factory or patternmaker. See sample below.

Hope this helps.

Thank you for this information....this is really helpful for me...

By the way I found this website about custom wedding dresses....they have some cool stuff there and you can put comments too...
please help me out !!! i have to submit a design spec sheet for sports wear t shirt in next class. how sud i start and what should be the format can you please send me some examples
thanks
Attachments:
we do create tech pack designs for the garments with following details

page 1- complete rendered illustration
page 2- color combos details with rendered illustration and pantone color mentioned
page 3- construction detail with zoomed illustrated detail of important areas of the garment.
page 4- continue with detail with zoomed illustrated detail of important areas of the garment.
page 5- continue with detail with zoomed illustrated detail of important areas of the garment (if required)
page 6- graphic detail (if required) with color combos and pantone numbers
page 7-8 measurement sheet with size detail (included measurement of all sizes)
page-9 Trims detail ( labels, accessories etc )

Additional detail sheet for the graphics/embroidery in original size and detail mentioned

We can provide you the tech pack file in pdf or adobe illustrator file (AI) as requested.

As for cost of making charge we would like to know about, what all details for required inside your tech pack and it also depends in man power time consumption.

It would be nice if you can send us your tech pack sample which you have used it earlier so that we can Analise the time consumption and will offer you the approximate price.

I would like to know what kind of garments do you want us to create tech pack, You can just send us the detailed photograph of your garments and we will create the tech pack . As for measurements it must be provided by you for each sizes.

We can even make tech pack from a hand scribbled sketch which you can scan and send it to us.

Hope you are clear with our services .

Looking forward for your earliest respond.
We are also into graphic design (chest print, allover print, textile design, embroidery design and cads for checks and stripe.)

Visit my website at http://techpackdesign.com/

Waiting for your earliest respond
Thanks & Regards,

Rubina
Design Manager
Just Dzine
# +919743213730
Hi,

Filling out your own spec sheets isn't that complicated once you learn how to spec a garment...
At www.designersnexus.com, you can get our "How to Spec a Garment" e-Book, which explains how to measure garments for a spec sheet. The e-book also comes with tech pack templates in Microsoft Excel format and instructs how to use them. The tech pack includes a spec sheet, detail sheet, and grade sheet. All three pages are linked so the header information will automatically appear on each page. The grade sheet is already formatted with formulas that will calculate grading for the size range of your garment. Just measure your garment and enter the specs in the sheet.

Our site offers additional resources for designers including pre-made Adobe Illustrator Brushes, training e-books, and free downloads such as fashion flats, croquis and illustrations.

RSS

Fashionable Suggestions

Members

Photos

• Add Photos

Badge

Loading…

Fashion Industry Network

Here are some fashion links of interest:

Apparel Search

Fashion Jobs

Fashion News

Fashion Calendar

Shopping 

Fashion Blog

© 2017   Created by Apparel1.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Thank you for using the Fashion Industry Network.  Have you helped another member today? Answer questions in the forum. It brings good luck.