Fashion Industry Network

The Fashion Industries Favorite Business Network ...

In all honesty, I am not 100% certain that a social network is beneficial to the fashion industry. I think that in theory it makes sense. However, is it really practical?

Do middle age fashion industry professionals grasp the idea of social networking? We have been pounded with the idea that this is for kids or people looking for a date. Does anyone really understand the potential in regards to developing business contacts?

In my opinion, business professionals may be hesitant to utilize this type of system. However, many of those people that have used social networking over the past several years (in high school or college), are now old enough to enter the work force. Hopefully, many of them will enter the fashion industry and carry with them the experience of networking. I guess it is possible that they move from using a network to find parties, and start using a professional network like this one to find fabric and trim suppliers.

Anyway, my point is that I am not sure if anyone actually has interest in a fashion industry network. My hopes are that we can all work together to create an interesting social enviroment to make our business lives a bit easier.

Again, I am not sure if this social network for the fashion industry will be a good idea, but I guess we are going to find out...

If you have any thoughts on the subject, please make your opinion known. We look forward to hearing from you.

Views: 541

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

This is definitely a great resource for the up and comers thats for sure.

Those of us starting out can post on successes and failures and everyone can learn from it.
Sean - thanks for your comments.. I had written this discussion post when I first started this site a few months ago. Since that time I have discovered that many people have been writing to me indicating that they are finding the site to be helpful. Therefore, I am glad that this site has been developed. It makes me happy to know that it is actually helping people.

Please note that this site is still very new. Hopefully, it will become a more helpful tool to everyone as it has more time to develop.
social network is good idea to boost textile fashion industry and presently only 20-30% of world population utilizes the fashion trend and rest stick to their traditional products. Social network by reaching masses can promote the fashion industry and would improve generation of employment. http://www.sadashivan.com
Attachments:
Sadashivan - it is agreed that the fashion industry is a large employer of the worlds work force. In the USA, the textile and apparel industry has declined over the past decade. Many of our manufacturing jobs have moved to other countries. On an international level, the apparel and textile industry appears to still employ very large numbers of people . Fortunately, as long as people continue to wear clothing, the fashion industry will continue to hire workers around the world. I guess in this case, the fact that people are wearing clothing is good news...

If this network helps improve the number of people that wish to participate in the textile industry, that is good news too.
I started in this industry at the age of 10 over 40 years ago. I visit the site most every weekends only in that I am extremely busy during the week. I have been at the top of the ladder, and, somewhere at the bottom in my many years in fashion. Right now I have been blessed with a path of sucess that has come from years of being in this industry and taking some time away from it. When I left the industry in 1997 it due to the death of one of my children, I was very successful doing Broadway shows, selling $3000 custom suits and working very closly with several couture and ready to wear designers. The point is, that when I returned to NYC...the people who were still around, not only encouraged me, they helped me in whatever ways that they could, I ran into people on the street and heard "if you need "buttons" (something) just come by I will set you up with an account". The fashion industry network is a stellar concept, but how one uses it is up to them. I believe I have over 90 friends and I add more when I get chance. Why... because the contacts are important to me, and when I need something I am going to ask, whether its a favor or as a paid consultaion, or a model to do fit modeling for me, or someone to produce samples in Shi Lanka for me, I will use the network. Yeah there are going to be those participants who are lookling for a date or girl or boyfriend, I weed those out as much as I can...I use this site PRIMARILY as a way to progress in an industry that is very closed, very expensive, tiresome, and hard to get a real foothold, number 1, and also to EDUCATE and COMMUNICATE, hopefully with some intelligent peers in the industry who are already working in fashion and those who want to work in fashion. Yes I fell that I am at a GREAT point to be in fashion. I am working for a great company and beautiful clothes and making a lot of money doing it but the network, any network, is important in todays business environment.
As you can see, it is already becoming a great success. I see people that are really dedicated to their work joining this network every day. I hope they are all honest and they stay sincere. Great things can happen from this network, as long as people use it in the right way.
Jillian - The point you have made is actually one of my biggest concerns about this site. I am hoping that members help keep the site filled with only good fashion relevant information. The battle is always against the people that do not play fair and try to spam etc.
I wouldn't worry too much about the spam. The site seems to have a great foundation. And believe it or not most people don't really understand the concept of what spam actually is, and don't use it in a malicious way. They don't know that in order to contact a vast amount of people through the internet, it has to be permission based, meaning that the recipiant has opted to receive the correspondence. They really just want to get their word out.

On another note...when I returned to NYC I read an article, have to locete it, on how the fashion industry has shrunk from 35000 workers in 2001 to a little under 7000 in the garment sector today. I will see if I can up with actual numbers to post, but that is another reason why we need to REALLY network.

I would like to see if we can actually get a "fashion industry network get together" here in NYC at a restaurant, or someplace ...any thoughts....
"I would like to see if we can actually get a "fashion industry network get together" here in NYC at a restaurant, or someplace ...any thoughts...."

This is a great idea. I would meet with other Fashion Industry Network (FIN) members in my area.
The idea of a get together in NY, is interesting. However, it may be best if we wait a bit longer until we have more members in the New York Group. I would be embarrassed if we planned an event and no one attended... Maybe in the spring.. Even better then planning a dinner, it would be amazing to plan a fashion show or something that would allow designers to present their work.
Wow, the idea of a fashion show for Fashion Industry Network members is a really great idea!
Good idea, but very complicated... That would take a great deal of planning and work... This is definately something to think about for the future.

RSS

Fashionable Suggestions

Review more fashion:

Members

Photos

• Add Photos

Badge

Loading…

Fashion Industry Network

Here are some fashion links of interest:

Fashion Industry

Fashion Jobs

Fashion News

Fashion Calendar

Shopping 

Fashion Blog

It is always a good time to learn more about clothes, shoes, style, or accessories.

We hope that you love the apparel industry as much as we do.

© 2019   Created by Apparel1.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Thank you for using the Fashion Industry Network.  Have you helped another member today? Answer questions in the forum. It brings good luck.